Thursday 13 October 2011

Chocolate Workshop



I always knew that working with chocolate took a lot of care. But I never knew just quite how much. Even if you want to simply melt some chocolate for a cake, there are very precise temperatures required to produce a glossy finish. The first workshop was aimed at getting an appreciation of this by making chocolates filled with a ganache. 




Thankfully, we have the option of using readymade chocolate shells, provided by Hotel Chocolat (with whom this project is based around). These will be the same ones that Hotel Chocolat use in their own product development. 

They also provided us with a couple of recipes that they use. One was for a basic chocolate ganache. And I use "basic" as a very loose term. When a recipe calls for measurements down to 1/100th of a gram I think it becomes a bit more than basic.




Still, we managed to make these chocolates pretty successfully. Though we may have got a bit carried away with making some of them look nice. I've also discovered that I'm not that fond of ginger flavoured chocolate. 

What flavours do like or dislike when it comes to chocolate?


2 comments:

  1. Looks fun, what's the blue stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was from a selection of paints we had. Not exactly sure what they were made from, but they were powdered. It's similar to what Hotel Chocolat use, I'm told.

    ReplyDelete