Sunday 21 June 2015

Salami with fennel (week 2)


Week 2 of my salami project and they seem to be doing well. I had a little scare with some green mold appearing on the topside of the bend. So, straight away I wiped it off with some vinegar and kitchen paper. Then I set about doing a little bit of research. 



I know that the chalky, white mold (Penicillium) is a good sign, as it stops the growth of harmful molds, but I wasn't sure how bad a thing green mold is. I came across this forum and it seems that the green mold may not be that dangerous (disclaimer: I'm not 100% on this so don't take my word for it). 

I've also been weighing the salami to give me an indication of when it's ready - it should lose 30% of it's initial weight through moisture lose. I was a bit surprised that all four have reached this point now as I was expecting it to take at least 6 weeks. But I'm going to give them another week so more flavour develops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment