Sunday 20 July 2014

Roasted Peppers


Recently, I seem to be cooking with roasted peppers a lot more, particularly when I make rogan josh paste and red pesto. So, when I found a couple of peppers in the bottom draw of my fridge, that weren't looking particularly great, I thought I'd give it go myself rather than throw them away. As well as using them in curry pastes and pesto, these can be enjoyed as part of an antipasti or on top of a pizza.

Did I mention it's stupidly easy to do?


Before we get started, here's a couple of thrifty tips:

  1. Preheating an oven for a couple of peppers seems a bit of waste to me, so wait until you've got it on for something else.
  2. Instead of buying olive oil and aromatics, I used some that was left over from a jar of olives.


1 red pepper
1 green pepper
Olive oil
Aromatics, such as whole black
peppercorns, dried chili flakes,
coriander seeds (optional)

Preheat the oven to 200C.  

Place the peppers on an oven proof dish and pop into the oven for about 40 minutes, until the they're slightly charred on the outside. 

As soon as you take them out, wrap them in tin foil and leave to cool.

Once cool enough to handle (I left them in the fridge overnight), unwrap the tin foil. Remove the stalk, cut the pepper in half and then remove the seeds. Cut the halves into around 4 strips each and tuck them into a clean jar. Add your aromatics and drizzle in enough olive oil to cover it all.

These can be kept in the fridge for about 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment