Sunday, 2 December 2012

Christmas Cinnamon Shortbread


As I write this I've got the music tv channels on and I'm listening to Christmas songs... as I have been doing for most of the day. Yesterday, I got my first Christmas tree and decorated it. I hung up some fairy lights my parents sent me. And I wrapped up all of Billy's presents. 

I'm so excited for Christmas!

With all the presents bought decorations up, it's time for me to turn my thoughts to the food. There's going to be a few baked goods and, no doubt, shortbread will be amongst them. I chose to add a little cinnamon just because it reminds me of mulled wine and all the inherent Christmas nostalgia that goes along with that. But feel free to try other flavourings such as vanilla.


Makes approximately 15 depending upon size.

130g butter, salted
60g caster sugar,
1tsp ground cinnamon
180g plain flour
Icing sugar for dusting
Caster sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 180°C.

Beat the butter and sugar together until pale. Then add the cinnamon and mix in the flour until it's evenly combined. You'll end up with a dough-type mixture. At this point, the dough can be frozen for use at a later date. Otherwise, on a lightly floured worktop, roll the dough out to 1cm thickness and cut it into whatever shapes you wish to use - just bear in mind that larger shapes will take slightly longer to cook than smaller ones. Transfer them to a baking tray and dust with icing sugar. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden, then transfer to a wire rack, dust with caster sugar and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container once cooled.

I used a stand-mixer to mix the ingredients, but it can also be done in a food processor or by hand.

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of your biscuits and I want to give it a try!! Uhm..salted butter?? This is new Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I know unsalted butter is usually used in baking but I know how salty this butter was so didn't need to add extra to the recipe. If you're not sure, use unsalted and add your own salt.

    ReplyDelete