Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Sunny Afternoon... and windy... and muddy



As I write this, I can hear the wind gusting outside.

At least this time I'm inside and my legs don't hurt and my face isn't frozen.

I had one full day left with Billy before he had to go home. 

And, having been to all the Christmas sales and money spent up, we had two choices: uni work or go on another walk with my parents.

Obviously, we chose the later - with mixed results. 





The walk started easy enough. Just a stroll down a country lane...

This was to be the closet we were able to stay to my parents, before they speeded ahead.

Once into the open countryside, me and Billy found ourselves struggling to navigate through the mud with the wind trying its best to batter us.

It's definitely January.




How this is a public footpath, I don't know...

I did manage to snap a few photos of the farmers' fields. There was kale, cavolo nero, other cabbages, and sprouts.

By this time my parents looked to be at least 1/2 mile in front of us. And waving, helpfully. 








Two hours later, we spotted the top of Christ Church peeking over a hill - a sign that we hadn't got left to walk.




The Royal Oak was a (very) welcomed sight. Finally, a haven from the wind and cold.

We eagerly dragged our weary legs into the warmth.




I'd only been into The Royal Oak a handful of times, but that was about 10 years ago.

We were seated by a friendly bar lady and, despite the afternoon food service finishing at 2.30pm (it was now 2.35pm), we're told that food was still being served. 

With the only other people being a couple sat at a window table and a gentleman sat the bar, it was very quiet.

We ordered our food. 

Mum and Dad had a steak and mushroom baguette. We were all slightly dismayed at the little amount of chips they were served with - 6 each. So it was fortunate that they had accidentally ordered another side portion each.

Billy opted for The Royal Oak Tower Burger. Not quite the calorific beast of The Bay Horse's, nor as mind-blowing as The West Coast Rock Cafe's. But it has to said that it was very tasty.

I decided to have the BBQ ribs and southern fried chicken. I don't know if it was because I was looking forward to something akin to KFC, but I was slightly disappointed. Though, once again, it was tasty too. 

The food cost £29.70 and the drinks were £15.25 (4 1/2 beers, 1 diet coke, and 1 tea).





So, I think things are pretty much going to go back to normal now. 

Back to uni soon and getting on with work. 

Hopefully with the inclusion of more time in the gym, coupled with some weight lose.



No comments:

Post a Comment