Thursday, 1 December 2011

Ox Heart and Black Garlic Ragu



First off: 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILLY!

It's my boyfriend's 21st birthday AND it's our 1 1/2 year anniversary tomorrow. (Yes, we're still at the stage of counting as many 'anniversaries' as we can).




To celebrate, I went to get my hair done at Toni & Guy. (Billy gets the benefit of seeing it, so that counts, right?). There's only so much of Dad cutting my hair as I can take. A boy needs to treat himself.

And OMG, have I missed getting my hair washed by someone else. It feels soooooo good. 





Despite the strikes yesterday, I had to go into uni to get some group work done. So, I had to cross the picket line.

In case I get any comments about this, let me explain myself...

A few weeks ago, our tutor for Product Development was off ill for quite a while. This meant that things were delayed and deadlines rearranged. I've got exams, presentations and reports to complete for deadlines. So, I'm a bit stressed. Yesterday was the only chance we had as group to meet up, so we did.

I support the strike. They've got to do what they can to protect their pensions. But, I'm paying thousands of pounds to do this course, for my future. Doubtless, the lecture we missed because of the strike will not get rearranged. 

So, please don't have a go at me. At least I didn't say that those on strike should be shot in front of their families like Jeremy Clarkson did.





Ox Heart & Black Garlic Ragu

Some times, it's a nice thing to pair a relatively expensive ingredient, when compared to normal garlic, with a cheap one. Heart is one of the milder-flavoured portions of offal, so goes well with the deep, molasses flavour of the black garlic.

1 tbsp olive oil
Knob of butter, unsalted
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 bulb of black garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp mushroom ketchup
500g ox heart, roughly chopped and dusted in flour
Cold water
Flaked sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Pasta of choice

Preheat oven Gas 3 (160°C/325°F)

In a oven proof pan, gently heat the oil and butter together. Add the onion, carrot and garlic and allow to sweat for 10 minutes. Pour in the mushroom ketchup and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.

Next, place the ox heart in the pan followed by the water. Bring to a simmer then put a lid on top and place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Cook your pasta per packet instructions, and serve.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great, original ragu. My favourite is with pork cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I've done it before with pork cheeks, too. But they seem so expensive now.

    ReplyDelete