Saturday, 17 December 2011

Cognac Chicken



Before I start, I feel the need to admit I've got Christmas Movie Soundtracks! on in the background. Just throwing that out there. I love Christmas songs. Anyway...

Ever have that feeling that you've forgotten something, but you can't remember what it is? I'm pretty sure everyone has experienced this at some point. In this case it was the BBQ sauce. I know it's easy to make, but sometimes I just want a meal where I don't have to do anything other than put some chicken in the oven.

Of course, now that I've got to make the sauce, I don't want any regular one. After a quick rummage in the cupboards, I found one ingredient that I had to use... the champagne cognac that's been hiding in the back of the biscuit cupboard since last Christmas. I find making the most of what I've got hidden away in the corner of your kitchen can be very rewarding, especially if I can be creative with it. 





With the rice, I mixed in some onion, green pepper and deseeded chipotle chilli. Then served it with a drizzle of basil oil. The remaining cooking sauce was strained, and I skimmed the fat off the top, to make a little dipping sauce. 




Cognac Chicken


Serves 4


Chicken pieces (I used the thighs, drumsticks and wings from 3 chickens)
125g unsalted butter, cubed
125ml cognac
70ml sweet chilli sauce
60ml tomato ketchup
1tbsp maple syrup
1tbsp soy sauce


Pre-heat oven Gas 5 (190°C/375°)


In a small pan, gently melt the butter. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir as it comes to the boil. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.


Place the chicken pieces in an ovenproof tray and smother in the sauce. Cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hours, turning the chicken every now and again. 


13 comments:

  1. ooh I like this, all these ingredients are in the house, so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's certainly easy. Great food for a Saturday night, too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that use of cognac - delicious-sounding stuff. I've actually just had a rummage round my kitchen but I've only found some very bizarre things - still I might find a way to use Latvian liqueur one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Latvian liqueur? Where did that come from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chicken looks finger-lickin' good! I like the sound of the rice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. The rice was simply cooked with some turmeric, then mixed in a bit of chopped chipolte, green pepper, and onion, and finished with a drizzle of basil oil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh the chicken looks amazing. that sticky sweet golden brown skin, yum. and I agree with leaf, the rice sounds yum too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that plate - gorgeous. Chicken looks lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, that's been in the family for as long me

    ReplyDelete