Tuesday, 15 November 2011

chicken noodles



Hopefully, you may have noticed that I don't like to waste much in the kitchen. If I can help it. I also like to save money in the process (mostly because I'm a poor student).

This is where chicken can come in very handy. A whole chicken can be jointed into 8 portions, which I talk about in this chicken enchiladas post. In this recipe, I used the legs and carcass. The breasts were diced up, ready for a tikka masala later in the week. 

I like to freeze the wings until I have enough to pig out on.

I've gradually been getting better at portioning chicken. But I still leave some meat on the carcass, so this is a good way of not letting it go to waste. And, of course, the rest of the stock can be frozen.

 







PS. I had a comment that there was an error in one of my recipes. If you spot any let me know and I'll amend it.


Chinese Chicken and Noodles

Serves 4

1 chicken carcass
2 chicken legs
2 onions, halved
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1/2 bulb of garlic, lightly crushed
cold water
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 star anise
2 tsp Chinese five spice
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
400ml chicken stock
3 pak choi, ends cut off
4 portions egg noodles (I used Sherwoods that come in portioned blocks)

In a large pan, add the chicken carcass and legs, onions, carrots and garlic. Add enough water to completely cover the chicken and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for at least 2 1/2 hours and make sure it's topped up with more water, if needed.


The next stage is easier to do once the stock has cooled down. Remove the carcass and legs and pick off the meat. Strain the rest of the stock.


Heat a pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the chicken meat followed by the sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, tomato puree and spices. Allow to cook for 5 minutes, then add the stock and cook for a further 15 minutes. Add the pak choi for the final 5 minutes.


Meanwhile, cook the noodles per packet instructions. Drain them, return to the pan and mix in the chicken. Making sure you remove the star anise.


Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment