Tuesday, 25 October 2011

pumpkin & chocolate soup





I really wanted to do a blog post that wasn't obvious. I wanted to be really creative. I failed.The two most blatant Halloween foods rolled into one recipe. Pumpkins and chocolate. 




I picked up the pumpkin from a local farm that I spotted on the way to do my weekly shop. Turns out, that for the same price as that at Tesco, I got a much larger one. So, I peeled, deseeded and chopped the whole pumpkin, used what I needed and then froze the rest. 

As for the chocolate, I used a quality 88% cocoa. The bitter chocolate works well as it contrasts against the sweetness of the roasted pumpkin.

What's your favourite Halloween food or treat?
















Pumpkin & Chocolate Soup
Adapted from Willie's Chocolate Factory Cookbook 
by Willie Harcourt-Cooze


The main difference from the original recipe is that it used butternut squash and red peppers.


There was probably a little too much chocolate in this for me, so add a little at a time and keep tasting.

2 kg pumpkin; deseeded, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried sage
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 onions; roughly chopped
4 cloves of garlic: roughly chopped
1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
50g cacoa, grated plus extra to serve
single cream, to serve

Preheat oven Gas 7 (220°C/425°F)


Place the pumpkin in an ovenproof dish or roasting tray and sprinkle the dried herbs over the top followed by half the oil and salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.


Whilst the pumpkin is roasting, gently heat the remaining oil in a large pan and sweat the onion and garlic until translucent, about 20 minutes. 


Remove the pumpkin from the oven and add to the onion and garlic, along with the stock. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Then blend until smooth, either using a stick blender or a processor. 


Stir in the cacao until it has melted in. Serve with a swirl of cream and sprinkle of cacoa.



2 comments:

  1. interesting use of pumpkin and chocolate, never tried this combination before and great for up-coming Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never tried chocolate in a savoury dish before. Heard it goes well with chilli con carne, too.

    ReplyDelete