Thursday, 27 October 2011

pulled beef



In the past, I've tried a couple of times to make pulled pork. Unsuccessfully. So I hadn't attempted it for a while. Having seen this post, though, I thought it was time I had another go. 

For those that don't know, pulled meat is where you slow cook a joint (traditionally pork, I think) until it reaches the point that the meat can literally be pulled apart with a couple of forks. I've recipes where chicken has been used, so I guess it's pretty much any meat that can be used. 

Next time, I'd like to try it with different flavours. Maybe some ale or BBQ flavours. Star anise would go nicely. 






Pulled Beef
Adapted from Food Stories

Serves 4-6

1.5kg beef brisket (slow roasting joint)
3 red chillies
2 onions, halved
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
water
single cream

Place the beef in a large pan along with all the ingredients (except for the cream) and cover with water. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer, then put a lid on top and allow to gently cook away for 6-7 hours. Keep making sure that there is enough water. The beef is done when you can use a fork to easily break the meat away into strings. Take the beef and use two forks to shred the meat. 

Strain the liquid into a clean pan and set it over a high heat. Reduce it by half. The sauce I was left with was very hot from the chillies, so add enough cream to your liking and season with salt and pepper. 

Add the beef to your sauce and serve. I ate it burrito style with flour tortillas, rice, red pepper and sour cream.


6 comments:

  1. Burritos look very nice kind of looks like pasties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this looks great

    http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fantastic. I like beef at two point - still pink and some blood running and this one. Nothing between is acceptable to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Billy and Mal.

    Karolina, I like my beef either rare or really slowly cooked. Though, if you've still got blood running try resting the meat a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love brisket but have never cooked it to the pulled stage, that looks so good in the wraps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pulled pork but I've never tried that method with beef. I much prefer beef though so maybe next time... I like the idea of putting it in a burito too.

    ReplyDelete