Sunday, 30 October 2011

chocolate chip cookies



I've been meaning to make cookies for a few weeks now. But, between starting back at uni and having this virus, I never got around to it.

I've noticed a few different recipes for cookies floating around on my Reader lately. There's apple pie cookieslavender shortbread cookies and these beautiful multigrain chocolate and hazelnut cookies. All I really wanted, though, was a simple and delicious chocolate chip cookie. The best. The classic. Then, Delicious: Days comes along with her favourite cookie recipe and how to pimp them.  It's worth checking out the recipe, there are some great ideas on spruce up the humble cookie.







Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Delicious: Days

I've just made a couple of changes to the original recipe. I added some vanilla extract, unsalted butter, used caster sugar instead of granulated, used plain flour instead of bread flour, used a combination of dark and milk chocolate and, finally, I omitted the salt altogether.

Makes 16 cookies

150g dark Muscovado sugar
50g caster sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, medium
150g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
225g plain flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
50g milk chocolate, roughly chopped

Preheat oven Gas 4 (180°C/350°F)

In a bowl, add both sugars, egg and egg yolk and whisk. I used an electric hand whisk for this, but just make sure it's all well combined. 

Then, gradually add the melted butter whilst continuously whisking.

Next, mix the flour and baking powder then fold it into the mixture and bit at a time to form a dough. Now, add the chocolate and mix again to ensure even distribution. 

To portion the dough, I moulded it into an oblong and kept halving it into 16 equal portions. Roll the dough portions into balls, then flatten them to get circular shapes. 

Bake on a greased baking tray or baking parchment, in the middle of the oven, for 15-20 minutes. Once cooked, allow to cool for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container or enjoy straight away. 

Serve with a glass of milk.



2 comments:

  1. They look really good, I've just got a recipe for banana and bacon cookies that I'm going to try sometime soon.

    I really like the muscovado sugar in cookies gives a great rich deep flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banana and bacon? Where'd you find that one?

    ReplyDelete