Monday, 3 October 2011

Basic Bread & Butter Pudding


Shortly, my parents will be heading off to Wales in the caravan. They're only going for a few days and asked me to make them two lasagnas and a bread and butter pudding. The last dessert I posted was the pancake cake back in August, so I wanted to share this with you. 

I've seen lots of bread and butter recipes that call for things like apricot jam for glazing, or bits of apple layered between the bread. I use to make a chocolate and orange flavoured one in the restaurant. But, if I give you the basic recipe, you can adapt it how you like. (Just remember to try and keep the same amount of liquid, or you'll need to add more eggs).


Here are a few variations you could try:

Different types of bread, e.g. brioche, baguette.
Adding lemon or orange zest.
Layering white and dark chocolate chips between the bread.
Flavour with coffee.

Do you have a favourite twist on the classic bread and butter pudding?


basic bread & butter pudding

8 slices white bread
15g unsalted butter
75g raisins or other dried fruits
1 egg
3 egg yolks
5tsbp caster sugar
2tsp vanilla extract
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
400ml whole milk
400ml skimmed milk

Preheat oven Gas 3 (325°C/160°F)

Butter the bread and cut the slices into triangles. Layer them, four at a time, in an oven proof dish, sprinkling the raisins in between each layer. 
In a bowl, whisk the egg and egg yolks together with the sugar. Mix in the vanilla extract and cinnamon. Pour in the milk whilst continuing to whisk, to ensure it's all combined.
Carefully pour the mixture over the bread. If not all of the mixture fits, gently press the bread down, to remove any air pockets, and leave to stand for 5 minutes. (This allows the bread to soak up the liquid). Then pour the rest of the mixture in.
Bake for 40-50 minutes. Test when it's done by using a small, clean knife or wooden skewer to pierce the middle of the pudding. If it comes out clean, it's cooked. 
Personally, I like to serve with ice cream.

7 comments:

  1. Looks good! I love bread and butter pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore bread and butter pudding, yours looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I love bread pudding, such a great comfort food

    http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely take on a classic. I made a version a while ago that used a latte for the milk and studded with dried figs. It was pretty good.... though I think most often the classic is best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mal.

    I like the idea of using latte, Tori, sounds like it might be a bit like a tiramisu twist.

    ReplyDelete