Sunday, 11 September 2011

Trotter-gate and more


Yesterday, me and Billy had a lot planned. We started the day off by going to a car boot sale and, as always, came back with books and DVDs, plus a couple of dishes for my prop collection. The purchase I'm most pleased with, though, is The Pooh Cook Book, a bargain at 50p. It contains some great sounding recipes, (chocolate peanut squares, anyone?) along with lots of recipes involving honey (obviously). 

On the way home, we stopped off at Rufford Old Hall. There's a cafe there that cooks with local, organic ingredients and is fairly reasonably priced. Back in June, we had afternoon tea which costs £6.40 per person, we shared one and there was plenty. But, this time, we just wanted to stroll around the gardens. We both had our sketch books with us to do some drawing (if you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen mine). 

There's also an allotment, apple orchard and bee hives. Sadly, the allotment looked slightly neglected. I was tempted to pull up a couple of beetroots that looked eager to be harvested. The orchard had several varieties of apple trees, but unfortunately I don't know enough to name them. 
When we got home, I did some more cooking and excitedly awaited seeing Batman Live! in the evening. 








Batman Live! was not disappointing in way, shape or form. We were so close to the action, sat right next to the stage, on the second row. I'm not well versed in giving reviews of concert productions, but suffice to say I would recommend it to everyone. 

So, finally, I'm left with talking about the pig's trotters in the last post. (For the following, please bare in mind I've never cooked with them before). I boiled them with mustard seeds, peppercorns, cloves, fennel seeds and leek. I left them in the liquid overnight.  Today, I fished the trotters out of their, now jellied, liquid. And, well... I knew there was never going to be loads of meat on them. But, nothing? I hadn't expected that. At least it's not a complete failure. I've reduced the stock, which I have been informed can be added to sauces. And, we're having a Chinese takeaway for  tea tonight. Win.

I know a few of you wanted me to update you on the pig trotter subject, and I will let you know what I do with the stock. In the meantime, let me know if you have any suggestions on what to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment