Monday, 19 September 2011

Potato Crisp with Sour cream and Chive Dip



There can be a lot of effort that goes into making a Sunday dinner. I usually find the hardest thing is deciding what meat to have. (This time it was pork belly). Anyway, as I was peeling the potatoes, to make roasties, I got to thinking about a chef I use to work with that made a tasty leek and potato soup out of the peelings. I didn't fancy making soup but a quick Google and I found this recipe for potato crisps and chive sour cream dip. Perfect. 

Photo from @amruth92
I shared what I had planned with Twitter and within minutes @amruth92 had been inspired and made some of his own. (Got to love the power of Twitter). Later, he told me he'd seasoned his with salt and chili powder and, as he told me this, I immediately wished I had fried mine with chili flakes. 


It must be said that I love the way this recipe makes great use of something that would otherwise just be thrown into our green recycling bin. Even the oil that I fried them into was reused for the roasties I was making. And I used the left over rind of some Pecorino I had in the fridge.




Potato Crisps 
with Sour cream and Chive Dip
Adapted from Food & Wine

Alternatively to shallow frying the potato peelings, you could use a deep-fat fryer.

1kg thick potato peelings
700ml vegetable oil
Flaked salt
2tbsp grated Pecorino

Preheat oven Gas 6 (200°C/400°F).
In a large pan, heat the oil to 180°C/350°F (or until a crumb of bread fries golden-brown).Fry the potato peelings in batches, so as to not overcrowd the pan, for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer them to a plate with some kitchen paper. 
Once they are all done, transfer them to a baking tray and sprinkle over the Pecorino. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Season with the flaked salt. 



Related articles:

Love Food, Hate Waste - "Every year in the UK we throw away £12 billion worth of food which could have been eaten. The Love Food Hate Waste programme from WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme) and has lots of tasty recipes and top tips to help us make the most of the food we buy."

7 comments:

  1. I love these. They look amazing! So jealous you got to have them. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh how fab, like the sound of the chilli or maybe Pimenton would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had Pimenton, not seen it in the shops. Is it easy to get?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant idea for potato peelings, I never would have thought of that, I'm definitely trying this some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so clever and it looks amazingly delicious and moreish! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, got to try these in the microwave...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hannah: Thanks.

    Alison: How would you do them in the microwave?

    ReplyDelete