Monday, 26 September 2011

Confit Salmon Fish Cakes


We've all had Thai crab cakes at some point in our lives. Well, most of us. But I was surprised to learn that what we think of as an "authentic" Thai crab cake, is in fact the Frankenstein of the food world. A mash-up of the American crab cake and the Thai fish cake.

In Britain, crab cakes came about as a result of making crab go further, to feed more people. Here, I've conjured up a similar trick, but with salmon. And, for economical purposes. 


The reason I wanted to confit the salmon, was to cook it while still keeping it moist. I also find it keeps a lot more of its natural flavour. The first thing to do was to cover it in coarse sea salt for half an hour. This draws out the some of the moisture and firms up the fish. Next, I gently washed the salt off and patted the salmon dry with a clean kitchen towel. Then, I heated some olive oil to 40°C, placed the salmon in it and removed it from the heat. Allowing it to gently cook, until it finally reaches room temperature.  


Next, I broke up the salmon and mixed it with cooked, crushed new potatoes. It was then breaded, fried and baked the same way I did this chicken.

Traditionally, British crab cakes were served with a seafood sauce. This is one of the simplest sauces to make. Equally quantities of mayo and ketchup, and season to taste with cayenne pepper.


Relevant links:

How to cook perfect fish cakes
How to make salmon fish cakes (video)
Love Food Hate Waste fish cakes


2 comments:

  1. Mmmm your photos look delicious and I don't even like salmon! I am totally craving crab cakes now. 8:54am...Not good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nelly. Make some for tea tonight :)

    ReplyDelete