Saturday, 13 August 2011

Easy Butterscotch Ice-Cream

 If you follow me on twitter, you may have seen that I have recently become the proud owner of an ice-cream maker. The first recipe I tried out was blueberry frozen yoghurt, inspired by Food Stories. However, mine was not so good. (First off the ice-cream maker overheated because the bucket was not cold enough). Basically, I should have puree'd the fruit, rather than leaving it whole - though I did heat them up slightly to get the juices running. Biting into frozen blueberries is not a pleasant experience. 
  With this, my second attempt at making ice-cream, I had to be a bit inventive with what I had in the kitchen. The blueberry bush was fresh out of blueberries. The cupboard out of vanilla. I did, however, have the ingredients for butterscotch sauce left over from when I made Billy sticky toffee pudding.
Doncaster butterscotch is a sweet dating back to at least 1848 and was primarily made from butter, sugar and treacle. However, now the term butterscotch generally refers to the flavour of butter and sugar, that resembles toffee. Butterscotch sauce indicates the inclusion of cream and sometimes syrup, vanilla, lemon and/or salt is added. I've included an extra link to Baking911.com which has some more great information. 



Easy Butterscotch Ice-Cream

250g salted butter, cubed
200g dark brown sugar
500ml double cream
1/2 tsp table salt

1. In a deep-pan, gently melt the butter and sugar. Make sure you keep stirring, so the two combine. 

2. Slowly add the cream and bring to a boil. Let the mixture simmer for 5-10 minutes, until it begins to thicken slightly.

3. Transfer into a jug. Cover and refrigerate until cold. 

4. Pour the sauce into the an ice-cream maker along with the salt and follow the manufacturer's instructions.



No comments:

Post a Comment