Sunday, 24 April 2011

Lamb, Lentil and Mint Pie

Every time I go to the supermarket I can't resist visiting the reduced section to see what bargains there are to be had. This time I picked up some beef mince, that I turned into homemade burger, and some diced lamb. 

I knew the lamb would be tough and so needed some lengthy cooking and, because I have fresh mint in the garden, I was reminded of a favourite pie filling at a restaurant I use to work at: lamb and mint. My next problem was that I knew the lamb would not stretch by itself to feed a hungry family, so I turned to the store cupboard. Lentils. Perfect to bulk out the pie and add an extra dimension to the pie. 

All-in-all, I was rather pleased with the pie. It maybe could have done with a bit more sauce in the filling, but the flavours were certainly there and the mint gave it an additional freshness that was definitely needed. And with homemade pastry, it was certainly a lot cheaper than buying a pie from the shop.


  • Shopping in the reduced section saves the pennies. 
  • Check whether a product can be frozen, the defrost it at a later date that suits. 
  • Try and think up recipes using reduced items e.g. veg that is slightly past its best-before-date can be used in a veg soup, which can then be frozen.
  • Buying reduced items helps the environment, reducing the amount of waste dumped in landfill sites.


No comments:

Post a Comment